We are an organization of engaged citizens partnering to sustain a safe, informed, and connected Aspinwall through community initiatives and outreach.
What is a Neighborhood Watch?
A neighborhood watch is a program in which all the people who live in one area agree to watch out for each other. So if one of your neighbors notices a suspicious character hanging around your house, or a car that keeps driving up and down your block, they will notify you and contact the police. Criminals are warned of an active watch by signs that are posted prominently in the area. When they see these clear signals that the people in this community are working together to prevent crime, they will know their chances of being caught are much higher and go somewhere else.
In addition to preventing crime in Aspinwall, ANW hopes to branch out with other service projects that will benefit our community. For example, ANW is sponsoring Green Streets, which an annual event each spring to clean up debris on the streets and playgrounds. Our goal is to plan educational events such as self defense and crime prevention, raise money to help support our police and fire departments, create Tip Sheets for better communication between residents and police, and help out neighbors in need with soup delivery, and other initiatives.
We welcome you to join us with your help and support. Please feel free to attend our general membership meetings and click here for contact information.
Aspinwall Neighborhood Watch ByLaws
ARTICLE I: NAME AND LOCATION
The name of this organization is Aspinwall Neighborhood Watch and hereinafter called ANW, located in Aspinwall, PA. ANW includes the areas commonly known as Lower Aspinwall and Upper Aspinwall
ARTICLE II: PURPOSE AND MISSION STATEMENT
An organization of engaged citizens partnering to sustain a safe, informed, and connected Aspinwall through community initiatives and outreach.
ARTICLE III: MEMBERSHIP ELIGIBILITY
1. Membership is open to all residents, business owners, and members of community organizations within the Aspinwall area, as defined in Article I.
2. Membership to ANW shall be available to all, and not discriminated based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, age, or disability.
3. There are no membership dues.
4. Members shall provide address and preferred contact method on registration form (If email is not available, phone or paper format delivered to the individual’s residence should be indicated.)
5. Members shall be eligible to vote after 30 days of membership sign-up.
ARTICLE IV: MEETINGS
1. General Membership meetings will be open to the public and held 3times per year as scheduled at the January Board Retreat.
2. Board meetings will be held the 4th Thursday of January, March, May, June, July, and September. The schedule may be changed at the discretion of the board.
3. Board meeting agendas will be distributed by email at least one day prior to the meeting to the board, be posted on the ANW board-only website, and handed out directly before the meeting. Meeting minutes will be approved at the next ANW meeting and then will be posted on the public and board only ANW website. General Membership agendas will be posted on the public and board-only website at least one day prior to the ANW General Membership meeting.
4. Any decisions or issues raised during General Membership or Board meetings will be decided on by a simple majority vote of all members in attendance at the time the vote is taken. Votes will only be accepted by members of ANW, as outlined in Article III.
5. Votes will only be taken on issues outlined on the agenda. Written proposals that require a vote by the general membership must be approved by the board in order to be included in the agenda.
ARTICLE V: OFFICERS, BOARDS, AND COMMITTEES
1. All leadership positions are informally held and are on a volunteer basis.
2. An ad hoc committee may be formed for a specific purpose at any time; leadership and membership to each committee is on a volunteer basis.
3.The Board will consist of at least 5 members who have successfully passed clearance checks through the state and FBI.
4. The Board will consist of an executive board, which will include a president, vice-president, secretary and treasurer, and at least 3 general board members.
5. The general board members and the executive board members will hold a minimum of a 2 year term.
6. At the end of a board member’s term, the board member will either ask to sustain their position on the board or open their position up to nominations. Nominations can be made by board members or by self-nominations from the general membership. Positions will be appointed based on a majority vote of the board.
7. All board members commit to attending a minimum of 80% BoardMeetings, General Membership Meetings, and/or retreats combined, within the year. Any extenuating circumstances must be reviewed by the board.
8. At any time, the ANW Board may review a member or board member’s status with regard to his/her involvement and membership to ANW. If theANW board determines that the conduct of the member or board member is detrimental to the mission of ANW, the Board, by a majority vote, can revoke membership privileges and/or board member status.
9. All administrative access to the public website will be removed once aboard member resigns or is terminated from the ANW Board. All access to the Board-only website will be removed once a board member resigns or is terminated from the ANW Board.
ARTICLE VI: CORRESPONDENCE
1. All members shall receive pertinent information as they have requested on their membership registration (email, phone, or paper format). This correspondence includes, but is not limited to, current events, meetings, crime updates, and any other important information.
2. Group updates may also be available through neighborhood publications, including The Advocate and The Herald, and will be available at theBorough of Aspinwall Office.
3. All ANW information will be available on the Aspinwall NeighborhoodWatch tabs of the Aspinwall Borough website http://www.aspinwallpa.com
ARTICLE VII: RATIFICATION AND AMENDMENT
Any item of these Bylaws may be requested to be modified, or amended, at
any time as deemed fit by the Board members. Any item requiring
modification will be voted on at scheduled meetings, requiring a simple
majority of board members in attendance.